Error
  • JLIB_APPLICATION_ERROR_COMPONENT_NOT_LOADING

Featured Videos

News

Interview with LA Producer HolySword

During a trip to the city of Angels; I had the honor of speaking with HOLYSWORD, an innovate young producer who’s cultivated a hefty soundcloud following with his eclectic plethora of tracks.  Drawing samples from a wide array of artists such as Explosions in the Sky and Asap Ferg, this producer never ceases to amaze listeners with his experimental approach.  It’s quite an ordeal to add elegance to trap beats, but (Cameron) is brilliant when it comes to the craft.  I was able to pick his brain for a few hours to find out the methods behind his madness, and gained a lot of new insight as a result.

Holy Ssword 

Reed:  “Tell me, Cameron, what prompted the HOLYSWORD project?  Were you just sitting around your bedroom twiddling your thumbs when the idea popped into your head or was it something more significant?”

 Cameron:  “I started holysword in December 2013. After listening to yung sherman, suicideyear, karman, and others for almost a year I wanted to try making music myself.”

Reed:  “Does the name “HOLYSWORD” have any sentimental value or is it just random?”

Cameron:  “The name holysword comes from a Bladee song I heard and I just really liked that name, so I used it. I thought it was individual and easily distinguished. S/o 2 Bladee : )”

Reed:  “Tell me a bit about your sampling process.  Do you have a lot of “aha” moments when listening to your music collection or do you determine the samples you want to use beforehand?”  

Cameron:  “My sampling process isn't really a process. 75% of the time I can't find anything and get really frustrated. The other 25% of the time I find something perfect that I know will work, and I get to work on it immediately. Big thanks 2 Blvc Svnd for all his help : )”

Reed:  “Interesting.  Are there any producers you particularly admire or respect?  To what extent do you draw influence from others?”

Cameron:  “My favorite producer of all time by far is yung sherman. I don't know what it is, but something about his music is amazing to me. Greaf is also one of my favorites. I draw influence from everything I hear, alot of songs that I have heard have played parts in my music.”

Reed:  “Do you believe that producing is an artform that can be truly mastered?  What techniques do you utilize most often when working on a track?

Cameron:  “I don't really think it's possible to master music. Producing is the engineering aspect of it, and I think that can be mastered, but mastering music is different. You can master EQ's and compressors and synths all you want, but I don't think anyone can master music.”

Reed:  How do you see your style of beat making evolving in the near future?

Cameron:  “I wouldn't call my music trap, but some people associate it with that. That's cool I guess. As for the community I'm in, I'm not absolutely sure where it's going. If I had to guess, most if it is a trend and will die out soon to be honest. I love making music so I don't plan on quitting if it goes out of style, but I predict that lots of people will.”

Reed:  “That’s what I’d expect.  Anyway, I really appreciate you taking the time to speak with me today.  Is there anything else you’d like to convey before wrapping things up?”

Cameron:  “Don't make music because it's cool and trendy to, make music because you love to do it. If you're in it because you think it will make you popular, you'll never go anywhere.”

 

Written by Reed Sligar

Posetd on Oct. 7, 2014

Facebook Feed

Twitter Feed